The content you will find here has been written for use in the teaching studios of Beans and Strings LLC and we are excited to share them with you! These materials are not super original and music teaching is not rocket science. However, we have seen our approach succeed in engaging and retaining students in music lessons. We update and add to this library on a weekly basis.
Types of resources.
You will find the following types of resources in our library:
- Instrument-specific lessons. These are articles introduce concepts, skills and vocabulary particular to the instruments we teach. (Intended audience: students)
- Music theory articles. These are articles introduce music theory concepts in bite-size pieces. (Intended audience: students)
- Song lesson articles. These articles leverage popular songs as teaching tools to apply the information communicated in instrument-specific and music theory lessons. (Intended audience: students)
- Pedagogy articles. These articles cover the art and best practices of popular music education. (Intended audience: instructors)
- Tools & resources. These articles highlight the tools and resources that we have found helpful in our teaching studios. (Intended audience: instructors)
- Video/audio. These posts feature embedded videos or podcasts on a variety of topics. (Intended audience: instructors)
- Downloads. This is the section of the library where you can access our lesson handouts, skill exercises, evaluations, lesson booklets and the Instructor’s Guidebook. (Intended audience: instructors)
Our approach to music education.
Our approach to music education is encapsulated in The Instructor’s Commitment:
The Instructor’s Commitment
- I will work hard to provide lessons that are organized, consistent, creative and (most importantly) FUN!
- I will challenge my students to grow beyond their comfort zones
- I will keep a positive, encouraging attitude. How could I not? My students ROCK!
- I will only use songs in our lessons that have quality lyrical content. (See “The Good Stuff Standard”)
- I will work diligently to help you achieve your goals and see results.